<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, November 04, 2005

High there everybody.

Been radio silent for a bit, I’m afraid. I was back in Ireland last week to bury my godfather, Peter Donnelly. I’ll not go into it, cos it’s not the time or place, but suffice to say I was very saddened by his sudden departure and was pretty much in awe of the way the rest of the family handled it. I can only hope to have as impressive a turn out at my last party.

What else has been going on then? Not a lot, as it goes. Been to town yesterday to try and change bank, and y’know when folk say that banks want your custom and will do anything to get it? Not true. Not if you’re me anyway. Again, I’ll not go into details as I doubt even the most anal-retent aido-watcher could find anything edifying in the minutiae, but it surprised me nonetheless, and for the time being at least, I still bank with Evil inc. (Natwest).

Films, books, games etc… (The meat)
FINALLY finished Silent Hill 2, Gareth will be pleased to hear. I put my fear to one side and plugged through the last act of the game in one sitting, and boy was it a doozy. This game, I swear, is the best answer I can give to anyone questioning videogames’ emotional worth. I didn’t actually cry at the end- as I was still in a kind of numb shock, but I wasn’t far off. And like the very best movies and books, while the plot played itself out in the end, the story remains elusive, indefinite and very much open to interpretation. It’s kind of like a David Lynch movie in that you get glimpses of what’s going on, but it will take several more viewings (or in this case, playthroughs) before I could confidently say ‘This is what happened’.
Read ‘Squee’. Graphic novel by Jhonen Vasquez, who is a shamelessly self-conscious goth, but he’s got a sense of humour to go with it so it’s okay. His pictures are kind of cute, in a psychopathic way, and the stories, such as they are, are wafer-thin. Enjoyable, but hardly required reading.
Oh, yeah, Gill’s folks got me ‘Batman in the Forties’ for my birthday, which I started last night. It’s a compilation of comics from Batman’s first decade. Until now I’d thought that Frank Miller had been the first to take Batman to ‘the dark place’ in Dark Knight Returns, but to be honest, Kane’s original makes Miller’s look like a pant-wetting sissy. In his debut ‘Crisis at the chemical plant’, he punches the villain into an acid bath at the denouement, while the would-be victim says ‘He’ll die for sure’. Batman replies ‘A fitting end for the likes of him’(!). So much for the sanctity of human life eh?

Speaking of superheroes behaving like tossers, check out http://www.superdickery.com/dick/1.html
And laugh yourself silly.

Aido ‘hoot your trap off’ Potato

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?