<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

So, in lieu of any reportage on the seemingly random series of events that make up my life, I'll update you all on my recent cultural intake for a change.
Movie-wise, I went to see Kill Bill Vol 2 on sunday- Predictably enough the dragon was quick to layer it in abuse as we left the cinema, and, I must admit, I was happy enough to agree with her. Its not bad, but suffice to say anyone going in expecting the frolicks of Vol 1 to continue will leave disappointed. Bring back the Crazy 88s.
Friday night, Marybeth and Jonno came round and we watched One night at Roxbury, which, as any of you who know who Will ferrell is will know, was very very funny. Not so keen on his sidekick (Chris Katton, I think), but well worth checking out if only for the dance scenes. We also watched Psychomania, which is a really really strange, cheap 70's horror/biker movie. Any attempt on my part to describe or expain this film will be a waste of my time- if you like weird shit (I'm talking to you, Gareth) try and track it down (good luck, though), and needless to say a plentiful supply of mind-altering substances won't harm your enjoyment of it.
Next up, Spiderman-the animated series. Didn't know about this until recently, but apparantly its a new cartoon produced by sony, set in the spidey universe of their (pretty bad) movie. Don't let this put you off though, or the initially overwhelmingly flashy cg animation. The more I watched of this the more I was convinced that it works better as a cartoon than it ever will as a live action film. Plus, the humour and characters are much closer to the comics than the film too. It's on Nickolodeon, so the only reason I got to watch it was thanks to an admin fuckup at work here where we recieved a shitload of copies to hire out when it specifically says on the back that its for retail only. Its an ill wind and all that.
I'm reading the latest few editions of Ultimate X-men and The Ultimates (Capt. america, Ironman, Wasp, Hulk etc...) X-men is always getting better, Ultimates is much better than I thought it was gonna be, the crossovers are a bit duff, but none of it touches Ultimate Spiderman (mind you, I would say that).
I am also re-evaluating my idea of adapting Flashman for the screen. Those of you who don't know, the Flashman books are a series of fictional memoirs by the villain in a far inferior childrens book called 'Tom Browns Schooldays'. They cover every serious war/political intrigue between about 1850 to 1870 or 80, and they all kick ass. Flashman is a proto-bastard and the benchmark by which all future bastards will be measured, and the stories all all action swashbucklers. Anyway, I thought about adating them a while back, absently, but since then I've heard there is a big budget reworking of Tom Browns Schooldays in the works, so now might be a good time to look into it. I'll keep you all posted.
Anyway, breaktime now,
laters

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?